booking drivers license


Government gives new license system thumbs-up

The implementation of decentralised licence booking in Gauteng has received the “thumbs-up” from transport MEC Bheki Nkosi, the Gauteng provincial government said on Friday.

“Within two days of the walk-in system, there were 11 178 bookings made for both the learners and driver’s tests and all these were confirmed with test dates for all applications, said spokesperson Philemon Motshwaedi.

“Most people hailed the intervention and endorsed the new approach by the department.”

The system was implemented on October 4 after the call centre approach was cancelled. Mobilitate reported on Friday that there were concerns, especially in Pretoria, about the demand possibly exceeding the capacity to deliver. (See the full story here.)

Nkosi had been making unannounced visits to testing stations around the province to observe and monitor progress on the walk-in system, said Motshwaedi.

“As much as long queues were evident at most centres, with some people arriving as early as 06:00, the centres were coping well with the challenges as the week progressed,” Nkosi was quoted as saying.

Motshwaedi said that by the end of Thursday a total of 24 292 confirmed test bookings were made around all Gauteng licensing centres.

Of this figure 13 539 were for driver testing and 10 753 were for learner testing, he said.

However, people were still being turned away due to the number of forms being issued per day.

The MEC had made recommendations to the departmental monitoring team on queue management and increasing capacity of centres.

“The walk-in booking system is an intervention plan that will be in place until the impact assessment on the call centre is concluded and findings have been studied,” Motshwaedi said.

The department would determine the future of the contact centre approach after studying the findings of the impact assessment.

“At this rate, the Gauteng department of roads and transport is positive that the walk-in booking system will enable it to manage the licensing booking backlog in the province,” he said.

Credit to: News24 and Sapa

  • Email
Tagged , ,

Demand at testing stations exceeds capacity

Over 600 bookings for learners and drivers licences have been made at the Centurion and Waltloo testing stations since Monday, raising concerns as demand exceeds capacity to deliver.

City of Tshwane’s licensing services director Johan Kok expressed serious concern over the situation on Wednesday, saying the appointments allocated would soon run well into the future.

Expecting the number to increase, the city was now attempting to prepare contingency plans to relieve the situation with measures such as extending hours of operation.

Drivers and learners’ licence testing centres in Gauteng have recently ground to a halt due to booking problems at the province’s call centre, leading to an announcement by Gauteng Mayor Nomvula Mokonyane of a manual booking system.

Mokonyane said people who contacted the existing call centre number were advised to go to their nearest station, and promised that those with existing bookings would not be affected.

The telephonic booking system has been described as a nightmare since the department took over the call centre.

The manual booking system started on Monday, but Waltloo could not carry out bookings due to power failure.

On Tuesday the Democratic Alliance (DA) insisted a forensic audit was needed to investigate all aspects of the Sibize International Calling contract. The Gauteng Shared Services Centre recently cancelled the contract.

Sibize was responsible for bookings at the provincial call centres.

The contract was awarded without tender and more than R1bn has been paid despite gross inefficiency.

“This company is responsible for the fiasco of centralised driver license bookings that has caused immense distress because of the delays it caused,” said DA spokesperson Jack Bloom.

Bloom also said corruption has been cited as a reason for cancelling Sibize’s contract.

“It appears we may have been over-paying millions for the operation of this call centre. There needs to be accountability for this matter but thus far there has been none.”

Credit to: Jacaranda 94.2 News and Time Live

  • Email
Tagged , ,